Clean Ireland Re-Cycling County Senior Hurling Championship 2013

Tipperary G.A.A. Yearbook 2014, pp 53-59


Loughmore-Castleiney won their third county senior hurling championship at Semple Stadium on October 13, when they shaded the final by the minimum of margins, 1-17 to 1-16, against Nenagh Eire Óg. It was an occasion for great emotion and jubilation and it gave particular pleasure to a team that had gone into the contest as underdogs and which seemed to be justified when they were led by six points after twenty minutes. However, the game began to turn in their favour during the final ten minutes before the interval as they tacked on two points and Nenagh failed to score. Victory was eventually achieved through a tremendous second-half performance, particularly by a very effective half-back line and an outstanding display by Noel McGrath.The victory was all the more appreciated in that it was achieved twenty-five years after their first victory in the grade and on a day when that team was being honoured at Semple Stadium.


The format of the championship was the same as in 2012 with the 32 senior teams playing in their respective divisional championships down to semi-final stage. The 16 teams that qualified went straight into the Dan Breen Cup. The remaining 16 went into Round 1 or a qualifier for the Dan Breen Cup, with the 8 winners qualifying and the 8 losers going into the Seamus O'Riain Cup. The 4 losers in the first round of the latter played in the relegation competition.

The 8 winners of Round 1 of the Dan Breen Cup joined the 8 losing divisional semi-finalists in an open draw with repeat games avoided for Round 2. The 8 winners from Round 2 played off among themselves in Round 3 and the winners joined the four divisional final losers in Round 4. The 4 winners played the four divisional final winners in Round 5 or quarter-finals.

Round 1

Seven of the eight games in Round 1 were played on the weekend of the 15/16 June, with the final game played on the 19th. Roscrea, Holycross-Ballycahill, Kilruane-MacDonaghs, Portroe, J. K. Brackens, Templederry Kenyons, Nenagh Eire Óg and Burgess came through.

Round 2

The 8 teams joined the 8 beaten divisional semi-finals in an open draw and the games were played between June 21 and July 8. The teams that came through were Borrisileigh, Toomevara, Moycarkey-Borris, Templederry-Kenyons, Roscrea, Nenagh Eire Óg, Upperchurch-Drombane and Burgess.

Round 3

The eight teams played off among themselves between July 27 and August 17 with Nenagh Eire Óg, Roscrea, Borrisileigh and Toomevara successful.

Divisional Finals

In one of the best South finals for years Killenaule defeated Carrick Swans by 1-22 to 2-16 at Clonmel on July 27. The game will be remembered for the 14 points scored by John 'Bubbles' O'Dwyer and the goal scored by former county player, Pat Kerwick, two minutes from the end which sealed the game. The Swans led by the minimum, 2-7 to 0-12, at the break and were unfortunate not to get a draw.

In contrast the North final at Nenagh a day later was a completely one-sided affair in which Kildangan produced a big display to trounce Silvermines by 5-15 to 0-8. The game was over at half-time when they led by 5-7 to 0-3.

Eire Óg upset the odds with a clear victory over six-times champions, Clonoulty-Rossmore, in the West final played at Dundrum on August 10. Clonoulty went into the game as favourites to make it seven in a row but, after the opening twenty minutes there was no doubt as to the destination of the O'Dwyer Cup as Eire Óg went on to win by 4-17 to 1-17.

A three-goal blitz by Drom Inch between the twentieth and twenty-fifth minute of the first half decided the destiny of the Johnny Leahy Cup in the Mid final played at Boherlahan on August 11. They led by 3-10 to 0-4 at the interval and there was no way back for Loughmore-Castleiney, who were behind by 3-10 to 1-11 at the end.

Round 4

Round 4 matched the winners of Round 3 with the runners-ups in the divisional finals and these games were played on August 24 and September 7.Nenagh Eire Óg defeated Silvermines by 1-21 to 0-8 at Cloughjordan and Loughmore-Castleiney defeated Roscrea by 0-21 to 2-11 at Templemore on the same day. The remaining two games were played at Holycross on September 7. Borrisileigh defeated Carrick Swan by 1-17 to 2-8 and Clonoulty-Rossmore got the bestter of Toomevara by 1-23 to 2-16.


The quarter-finals were played on the weekend of September 14/15. Three of the four divisional champions bit the dust on the weekend. At Templemore Loughmore-Castleiney defeated Killenaule by 2-17 to 1-15 and Nenagh Eire Óg defeated Drom Inch by 1-15 to 2-11. At the Ragg Kildangan and Clonoulty-Rossmore drew, 0-14 to 1-11, while Borrisileigh defeated Eire Óg by 2-16 to 1-11.

In the replay of thedrawn game, played at Dolla on September 21, Kildangan defeated Clonoulty-Rossmore by 3-13 to 2-13.


The semi-finals were played at Semple Stadium on September 29. Loughmore-Castleiney defeated Borrisileigh by 1-17 to 2-12. For most of the game the winners set the pace. Playing against the breeze in the first half they led by 1-5 to 0-7. The game remained close during the third quarter but then Loughmore-Castleint opened up a five-point lead, 1-15 to 1-10 with nine minutes to play. Borrisileigh had the best of the exchanges during that period, reducing the lead to two points and they even had a last-minute chance to shade it had Brendan Maher's effort not gone narrowly wide.

The second game, between Kildangan and Nenagh Eire Óg, ended in a draw, when Kildangan forced a replay thanks to a fine comeback. With a quarter of the match to go Nenagh Eire Óg led by 4-11 to 1-11 and seemed home and hosed. However, Kildangan resurrected their act to outscore their opponents by 1-8 to 0-2 in the final thirteen minutes, culminating in an equalising point by Ruairi Gleeson in the first minute of added time.

The replay of the drawn semi-final was played at Semple Stadium on October 6, with Nenagh Eire Óg coming through by 1-17 to 0-12. Not a memorable game the result was never in doubt after the first twenty minutes. A Richie Flannery goal in the twenty-first minute gave Nenagh the decisive edge. They held an interval lead of 1-10 to 0-6, looking slicker and making better use of possession. Kildangan needed a goal in the second half but it never came and Nenagh were comfortable winners by 1-17 to 0-12 at the final whistle.

The Final

And so, everything was set for the final at Semple Stadium on October 13. Nenagh Eire Óg were installed as favourites on the basis of the scalps they claimed during the campaign, the most notable being holders, Thurles Sarsfields, and Mid and North title holders, Drom Inch and Kildangan.They appeared to have grown in stature with every game. They also had a hunger based on a long famine since their first title in 1995, with the team containing one player, Kevin Tucker, from that side as well as the manager. Liam Heffernan.

Their opponents, Loughmore-Castleiney, looked anything but county final material, when they were swamped by Drom Inch in the Mid final. They got themselves back into contention with victories over Roscrea, Killenaule and eventually Borrisileigh, some would say the easier side ofthe draw. They suffered the loss of staunch defender, Eddie Connolly, in the semi-final and were regarded as a team with lesser hurling capacity than Nenagh. However, they did have a great ability to punch above their weight and to have a steely determination and never-say-die spirit when it came to tight clashes.

Nenagh justified the favourites tag in the opening quarter as they raced into a 1-5 to 0-2 lead and had Loughmore-Castleiney on the back foot, the goal coming from Paddy Murphy. However, they appeared to relax after that and Loughmore outscored them by 0-4 to 0-2 in the second quarter to be only four points adrift at the interval on a scoreline of 1-7 to 0-6. When it is realised that Loughmore hit eleven wides during the period, they were still very much in the game.

With the help of the breeze Loughmore took the game to Nenagh in the second-half. Noel McGrath began to have a grwing influence on the game. John Meagher began to wield a powerful influence, especially in the final quarter. The game began to go Loughmore's way and they drew level, 1-15 each, with five minutes to go. As Loughmore had done in the first half, Nenagh hit a few bad wides. Loughmore edged ahead and in a nail-biting finish Nenagh laid seige to the Loughmore goal and had a couple of chances of grabbing the equaliser but heroic defending saved the day for Loughmore and when the final whistle sounded they had a point to spare on a scoreline of 1-17 to 1-16.

Loughmore Castleiney: Shane Nolan, Tommy Long, Derek Bourke, Joseph Hennessy, Aidan McGrath (0-2), John Meagher, Tom King, Ciaran McGrath (capt.), (0-1), Tomás McGrath (0-1), John McGrath, David Kennedy (0-1), Noel McGrath (0-7), Liam McGrath (1-2), Evan Sweeney (0-1), Cian Hennessy (0-2). Sub: Micheal Webster for David Kennedy. Also: John Scully, Willie Eviston, John Ryan, Lorcan Egan, Johnny Campion, Tommy Maher, Henry Maher, Brian McGrath, Denis Brereton, Shane Hennessy, Paddy Moynihan, Eddie Connolly, Liam Treacy.

Selectors: Declan Laffan, Seamus Bohan, Pat McGrath. Trainer: Alan O'Connor. Physio: Cathy Doran.

Nenagh Eire Óg: Nichael McNamara, Mark Flannery, Noel Maloney (capt.), John Brennan, Daire Quinn, Hugh Maloney, Billy Heffernan, Barry Heffernan, Kevin Tucker, Pearse Morris (0-3), Michael Heffernan (0-8), Tommy Heffernan (0-1), Andrew Coffey (0-1), Paddy Murphy (1-2), Ritchie Flannery (0-1). Subs: Paul Ryan for Andrew Coffey, Donncha Quinn for Billy Heffernan, Johnny Slattery for Paul Ryan. Also: Kevin Flynn, Sean Geaney, Adam Gratton, Killian Gleeson, Alan Kelly, James Mackey, Conor Ryan, Donncha Heffernan, David Hackett, Niall Cahill, Eoin Fitzgibbon, Gary Howard, Michael Collins, Brendan O'Brien, Philip Hickey, Darragh Walsh, Daire Gleeson.

Manager: Liam Heffernan. Coach: John Fitzgerald. Selectors: Enda Costello, Noel Coffey. Physios: Paul Dillon,Eddie Hynes.

Man of the Match: Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney)

Referee: John McCormack (Kickhams)

Attendance: 7,195.


Clean Ireland Re-Cycling Seamus Ó Riain Cup

The 8 teams defeated in Round 1 of the Dan Breen Cup contested the Seamus Ó Riain Cup. The quarter finals were played on the weekends of June 21 and 28, with victories going to Borrisokane, who defeated Golden-Kilfeacle by 3-13 ro 2-14, to Thurles Sarsfields, who defeated Boherlahan by 2-20 to 1-7, to Lorrha,who defeated Moneygall by 3-16 to 0-12, and to Carrick Davins, who defeated Cashel King Cormacs by 0-15 to 0-14.

In the semi-finals Carrick Davins defeated Lorrha by 3-18 to 2-14 at Templemore on July 20, and Thurles Sarsfields defeated Borrisokane by 1-24 to 2-16 at the same venue on July 26.

The final was played at Clonmel on August 18 and Thurles Sarsfields made history when they won the Ó Riain Cup for the first time. They also made history by becoming the first club to win the Dan Breen and Ó Riain Cups.

Fielding no more than five of their regular senior team the winners had little difficulty in claiming the spoils of victory. Davins, with the breeze in their favour, led by 0-5 to 0-3 at the end of the first quarter and held their own in the first half to trail by just a point, 2-7 to 1-9, at the interval, their goal coming from Ger Robinson just before the break.

Sarsfields showed more urgency in the second-half and dominated the game, adding 1-11, while confining Davins to 0-4, to leave the final score 3-18 to 1-13 in their favour. Afterwards captain, Michael Cahill, received the cup from county board chairman, Sean Nugest.

Thurles Sarsfields: Kevin Smith, Pa Dunne, Kevin O'Gorman, Barry Dwyer, Michael Cahill (capt.), David Corbett, Aidan Ryan, Stephen Cahill (0-1), Tommy Doyle, Jamie Stapleton (1-1), Jim Corbett, Pa Bourke (0-10), Cian Treacy (0-4), Pa Crone (2-2), John Maher. Subs: Michael Dwyer, Rory O'Shea, Eoin Russell, Kevin O'Gorman.

Carrick Davins: M. Hackett, K. Condon, L. Mackey, S. Cronin, W. O'Dwyer, R. McGrath, M. Ryan, P. Harris (0-2), A. Foran (0-1), J. J.Butler (0-4), N. Butler (0-2) G. Robinson (1-2), S. Moroney (0-1), J. J.Ryan, S. Butler (0-1). Subs: O. Power, J. Moroney.

Man of the Match Award: Cian Treacy (Thurles Sarsfields)

Referee: John McCormack (Kickhams)


Clean Ireland Recycling Relegation Playoff

The four teams beaten in the first round of the Seamus Ó Riain Cup battled out the relegation playoff. The two semifinals were played on July 14. At the Ragg Moneygall defeated Cashel King Cormacs by 1-14 to 0-10, and at New Inn Boherlahan-Dualla and Golden-Kilfeacle played a draw, 2-12 to 1-15.

The reply of this game, also at New Inn, on July 26 was abandoned because of a serious injury to one of the players and was eventually played at Holycross on August 9. Boherlahan-Dualla defeated Golden-Kilfeacle by 1-19 to 2-12.

The final,between Cashel King Cormacs and Golden-Kilfeacle, was played at New Inn on August 18. The game was expected to be close but it turned out to be quite one-sided. A pair of goals at either side of the interval propelled Cashel into a commanding lead and Golden had no answer to the pace and intensity of their play. In the end Cashel were ahead by 3-13 to 0-9, having led by 1-10 to 0-7 at the interval.

Cashel King Cormacs: Owen Quirke, Paddy Morrissey, Ross Doyle, Brian Minogue, Michael Killian O'Dwyer, John Darmody, Simon Delaney (0-1), Edmond O'Dwyer (0-1), Dylan Fitzell, Michael Coleman (0-1), Lee Burke (0-1), Philip Taylor (0-1), Robert Anglim (1-1), Adrian Cummins (1-1), Jonathan Grogan (1-6),. Subs: James Cummins for Robert Anglim, Jonathan Walsh for Lee Burke.

Golden-Kilfeacle: Declan Donnelly, Chris Ryan, Aidan O'Connell, Kevin Moloney, Brendan Moloney (0-1), James McCarthy, James Hayes, James O'Connell, Daithi Bargary, James Casey, Josh Keane (0-7), Damian Fogarty, John Colohan, Paddy Ivers, Seanie O'Halloran. Subs: Cathal Hayes for James cCarthy, Christopher Ryan (0-1) for Johnlohan, Aidanarty for James , S.Stapleton for D. Bargary, S. Ryan for S O'Halloran.

Referee: Pat Gibsom (Burgess)

Results at a Glance



Clean Ireland Recycling Senior Hurling Championship

Round 1

15/06/2013 Templemore Roscrea 3.16 Cashel King Cormacs 0.11 Martin Ryan

15/06/2013 Templemore Holycross Ballycahill 0.18 Moneygall 0.15 Phil Ryan

15/06/2013 Toomevara Kilruane MacDonaghs 0.16 Borrisokane 0.09 Kieran Delaney

16/06/2013 Borrisoleigh Portroe 3.23 Golden Kilfeacle 0.09 John Butler (M)

16/06/2013 Moneygall JK Brackens 3.13 Lorrha Dorrha 0.09 John O'Brien

16/06/2013 The Ragg Templederry Kenyons 6.20 Boherlahan Dualla 1.07 Fergal Hickey

16/06/2013 The Ragg Nenagh Eire Óg 0.15 Thurles Sarsfields 0.12 Fergal Horgan

19/06/2013 Boherlahan Burgess 1.17 Carrick Davins 0.13 Willie Clohessy


Round 2

21/06/2013 The Ragg Borris-ileigh 5.18 JK Brackens 0.09 Phil Ryan

22/06/2013 Nenagh Toomevara 3.21 Kilruane MacDonaghs 1.26 Anthony Sherlock

22/06/2013 Borrisoleigh Moycarkey Borris 1.14 Portroe 1.12 John McCormack

23/06/2013 Templemore Templederry Kenyons 3.21 Ballingarry 0.10 Fergal Horgan

23/06/2013 Templemore Roscrea 2.14 Knockavilla Kickhams 2.11 Willie Clohessy

28/06/2013 Boherlahan Nenagh Éire Óg 1.18 Mullinahone 0.09 Johnny Ryan

30/06/2013 The Ragg Upperchurch Drombane 1.19 Holycross Ballycahill 0.15 Kieran Delaney

08/07/2013 Newport Burgess 0.22 Cappawhite 1.11 Johnny McDonnell


Round 3

27/07/2013 Templemore Nenagh Éire Óg 2.18 Upperchurch Drombane 1.17 John McCormack

04/08/2013 Templemore Roscrea 1.12 Moycarkey Borris 1.11 Fergal Horgan

10/08/2013 Nenagh Borris-ileigh 1.24 Burgess 4.12 Johnny Ryan

17/08/2013 Nenagh Toomevara 0.24 Templederry 2.17 Pat Gibson


Round 4

24/08/2013 Cloughjordan Nenagh Éire Óg 1.21 Silvermines 0.08 Johnny Ryan

24/08/2013 Templemore Loughmore Castleiney 0.21 Roscrea 2.11 Pat Ivors

07/09/2013 Holycross Borris-ileigh 1.17 Carrick Swans 2.08 John O'Brien

07/09/2013 Holycross Clonoulty Rossmore 1.23 Toomevara 2.16 Noel Cosgrove


Quarter Finals

14/09/2013 Templemore Loughmore Castleiney 2.17 Killenaule 1.15 Ger Fitzpatrick

14/09/2013 Templemore Nenagh Éire Óg 1.15 Drom & Inch 2.11 John McCormack

15/09/2013 The Ragg Kildangan 0.14 Clonoulty Rossmore 1.11 Keith Delahunty

15/09/2013 The Ragg Borris-ileigh 2.16 Éire Óg Anacarty 1.11 Johnny Ryan


Quarter Final Replay

21/09/2013 Dolla Kildangan 3.13 Clonoulty Rossmore 2.13 Paddy Ivors


Semi Finals

29/09/2013 Semple Stadium Loughmore Castleiney 1.17 Borris-ileigh 2.12 Fergal Horgan

29/09/2013 Semple Stadium Nenagh Éire Óg 4.13 Kildangan 2.19 Johnny Ryan


Semi Final Replay

06/10/2013 Semple Stadium Nenagh Éire Óg 1.17 Kildangan 0.12 Keith Delahunty



13/10/2013 Semple Stadium Loughmore Castleiney 1.17 Nenagh Éire Óg 1.16 John McCormack



Clean Ireland Recycling Seamus O'Riain Cup


Quarter Final

21/06/2013 Templetuohy Borrisokane 3.13 Golden Kilfeacle 2.14 Noel Cosgrove

21/06/2013 Holycross Thurles Sarsfields 2.20 Boherlahan Dualla 1.07 Pat Gibson

23/06/2013 Cloughjordan Lorrha Dorrha 3.16 Moneygall 0.12 Philip Kelly

28/06/2013 Fethard Carrick Davins 0.15 Cashel King Cormacs 0.14 PJ Nolan


Semi Final

20/07/2013 Templemore Carrick Davins 3.18 Lorrha Dorrha 2.14 Willie Clohessy

26/07/2013 Templemore Thurles Sarsfields 1.24 Borrisokane 2.16 Michael Murphy



18/08/2013 Clonmel Thurles Sarsfields 3.18 Carrick Davins 1.13 John McCormack



Clean Ireland Recycling Co. Senior Hurling Relegation


Semi Final

14/07/2013 The Ragg Moneygall 1.14 Cashel King Cormacs 0.10 John O'Brien

14/07/2013 New Inn Golden Kilfeacle 1.15 Boherlahan Dualla 2.12 Philip Kelly


Semi Final Replay

26/07/2013 New Inn Golden Kilfeacle 0.00 Boherlahan Dualla 0.00 Keith Delahunty



09/08/2013 Holycross Boherlahan Dualla 1.19 Golden Kilfeacle 2.12 Johnny McDonnell

Final Replay

18/08/2013 New Inn Cashel King Cormacs 3.13 Golden Kilfeacle 0.09 Pat Gibson