Seamus J King is a prolific Irish author based in Cashel, Co. Tipperary. He started writing about the Gaelic Athletic Association (G.A.A.) in the seventies and has produced an impressive body of work since. He has a deep love for the game of Hurling, capturing its history and spirit for current and future generations. Mr. King’s writing has been recognised by the G.A.A., receiving a 1993 McNamee Award for his Bord na nÓg history.
A native of Ballymacegan, Lorrha, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, Mr. King attended primary school at Redwood N.S. in the parish of Lorrha, followed by secondary school at St. Flannan’s College, Ennis, Co. Clare. He played hurling with the college (1951-1956), participating in the Dean Ryan and Harty Cup competitions.
He played juvenile, minor and senior with his club, Lorrha & Dorrha, starting while still at primary school. The high point of his club career was a North Tipperary Division senior hurling championship in 1956. Lorrha was beaten by Thurles Sarsfields in the county final the same year.
He continued to play hurling while a student at U.C.C. (B.A. 1960) and U.C.D. (H.D.E. 1961). After, he lived for a year in London, a year in Germany and two years in the U.S., where he completed an M.A. in Political Science at Western Reserve University, Cleveland.
Mr. King returned to Ireland in 1965 and commenced teaching at Rockwell College, Cashel, Co. Tipperary.
Living at Cashel he joined Cashel King Cormac’s and eventually became a member of the senior committee. He was P.R.O. for a number of years before becoming club chairman in 1985. He remained in the position until 1992. The high point of his term of office was when Cashel King Cormac’s won their first ever county senior hurling title, and went on to win a Munster Club championship. He is still a member of the senior committee and was elected president of the club in 1999, a position he still holds.
He has represented the club on the West Tipperary Division board for many years and spent three years as chairman of the board (1996-1998). He has also served the club on the county board over many years.
He was selected on the Tipperary Yearbook Committee in 1983 and has been a member since then. He succeeded Michael McCarthy as chairman of the committee in 1992.
He was also on the county committee that took possession of the Sam Melbourne Collection of G.A.A. artifacts, after it was purchased by the county board. A home for it was found at Lár na Páirce, an interpretive centre for gaelic games, on Slievenamon Road, Thurles, Co. Tipperary. Mary Robinson, the President of Ireland, officially opened the centre in November 1994. He is currently the chairman of the centre’s committee.
On February 9th, 2018 in Croke Park, Seamus King was a recipient of one of the prestigious annual GAA President's Awards. The award was in honor of Seamus's lifetime of service to the GAA.